Matthew
    Ring Gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    515 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Intro

Seems like a pretty cool place you guys have here, and I wanted to get in. Lurked around a couple days awhile back, and decided it's time. Hoping to learn more about cigars while here, and this seems like the place to do it.

About me - I'm a pretty open guy, so if I don't cover it here, ask away.

Years smoking cigars: ~2

Favorite brands: Tatuaje, Aging Room, Padron, Drew Estate, & Camacho

Favorite size: robusto

Cigar that really got me into the hobby: Padron 64 maduro

Lived in VA since 2006, but born and raised in IL.

Navy Vet 06-12, OND/OEF

Enjoy sci fi and horror books, horror movies, grillin on my new Weber, podcasts (favorites: Tin Foil Hat & Church of What's Happening Now), and spending time with my family.

Currently smoking an Asylum 13 Fifty. First cigar I had by these guys (Medulla Oblongata), I got last year at the Coastal Cigar Fest. Thought it was gonna be b.s. due to the skull logo and the name "Asylum". But, I was wrong, and do enjoy this brand. I'd say profile is medium-full, a little spicy, nice strength, good tasting, and very much worth the $1-2 Cigarbid price.

2. Thanks Nature, Ciro thanked for this post
    First Name
    Ryan
    Ring Gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    668 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the Bum. How did that Asylum treat you? I too enjoy the Church. His tales of growing up are classic and his response to the nanny state about a week ago priceless.

4. Thanks chain_gang thanked for this post
    Likes Old Smokey, josh lucky 13, Ciro liked this post
    First Name
    Seth
    Ring Gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the Cigar Bums household....Great bunch of bums....Salute!
    Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier.

6. Thanks chain_gang thanked for this post
    Likes Old Smokey, josh lucky 13, Ciro liked this post
    Royal Bum
    First Name
    Steve
    Ring Gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to Cigar Bum and thank you for your service. I hope you will post often so we can get to know you and you know us. Watch out for WNYTONY and AlanS, they love cigars, long walks on the beach and blowing bubbles in the bathtub.

8. Thanks chain_gang thanked for this post
    Likes josh lucky 13, Ciro liked this post
    Administrator jhedrick83's Avatar  Cigar Bum Sponsor
    First Name
    Jesse
    Ring Gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    620 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to Cigar Bum! Thank you for your service! We are a pretty open group as well, so ask us anything.
    "Hate, it has caused a lot of problems in the world, but has not solved one yet."
    ― Maya Angelou

Go Vols!

10. Thanks chain_gang thanked for this post
    Likes Old Smokey, Ciro liked this post
    First Name
    Matthew
    Ring Gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    515 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tombstone View Post
    Welcome to the Bum. How did that Asylum treat you? I too enjoy the Church. His tales of growing up are classic and his response to the nanny state about a week ago priceless.
    The Asylum 13 Fifty was great. I'm into stronger cigars, and this was well within what I'd consider med/full. Nice flavor, not super bold or complex, but one of the best I've had from Cigarbid. I'd definitely buy more, especially if Cigarbid pricing drops back down to my liking. I was able to score multiple Asylum types for $1 up till about a year ago.

I had the Medulla Oblongata (robustish, cant remember exact size), and it was probably the best cigar I got from the Coastal Cigar Fest, which I was given 15 cigars from multiple manufacturers as part of the ticket price. I wanted to buy more, but the local B&Ms only carries the huge 7×70 or bigger, and I'm not a big sized cigar guy.

If you haven't had anything by Asylum, please give them some attention, because last night's cigar has reaffirmed my interest in the brand, and has put them back on my radar and higher on my must buy list. Don't let the wrapper and name fool you, like it almost did me. My mantra since is: Don't judge the book by the cover, unless you're willing to smoke it and affirm your judgement by trial by smoke.

CHURCH!

12. Likes Ciro liked this post
    First Name
    Kevin
    Ring Gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your service! Any chance you can share your quadrant of USA you may be residing even if not specific?
    BFM/KCCO

14. Thanks chain_gang thanked for this post
    First Name
    Matthew
    Ring Gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    515 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    penna,
    Thanks! What's a cigar you'd recommend for a med/full fan and why?

Old Smokey,
    Thanks! Does the name lend itself beyond cigars? Just bought my first Weber and have been enjoying smoky meats. Who doesn't enjoy making their own bubbles in a bath, or am I missing something?

jhedrick83,
    Thanks! Any podcasts you'd recommend? Ever listen to any of the podcasts I mentioned?

restomod,
    Thanks! I live in Virginia Beach, VA. Yourself?

16. Likes josh lucky 13, Old Smokey, Ciro liked this post
    First Name
    Josh
    Ring Gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the site. Plenty to learn and share and for some over share.

18. Thanks chain_gang thanked for this post
    Likes Old Smokey, Ciro liked this post
    First Name
    Matthew
    Ring Gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    515 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tombstone,

The Asylum 13 Fifty was tremendous. It fits in the med+ to full area, not complex or too bold. Didn't realize it was dark habano wrapper, thought it was maduro - still get mixed up with the maduro definition and appearance with some cigars. Solid flavor throughout, a little spicy.

It's the second I've had by Asylum, so they're batting 2/2 in my scorebook. I've scored others through Cigarbid for $1 on great days, $2 on bad days, and it's by far the best cigar for that pricepoint out of about 10-15 other $1-2 cigars scored. I've scored a couple Mini Coronas and a Corojo, but the minis were taken by friends, and I may still have the Corojo. All were scored at the same price.

I had the Asylum Medulla Oblongata last summer shortly after attending the Coastal Cigar Fest in Norfolk, VA. It was probably my favorite cigar amongst the 15 that came with the ticket price, and all were from various premium manufacturers. Can't remember much, but I wanted to buy more, but the local B&Ms only carry the 7×70 or bigger. Not a big sized cigar guy, so I've passed. I thought it was going to be a dud and a tough guy's cigar due to the skull and name, but boy was I mistaken.

If you haven't given the brand any attention, do yourself a favor and do so. If you like scoring cheap bids, you cannot go wrong with the 13 Fifty - haven't been on the site much since prices skyrocketed, but keep the above pricepoint in mind.

CHURCH!

20. Likes Ciro liked this post