Bruce
    Ring Gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice looking sticks, @Marc L !
    You oughta know not to stand by the window, somebody see you up there.

4. Likes Marc L, Brimy liked this post
    First Name
    Bob
    Ring Gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's my second go at making two:

The feel of them seems to be a bit firmer and I did the pigtail thing much better though that also needs improvement. I didn't care much for trying to cut a larger cap. One of my binder leaves had a few tears in it. I figured that since it would go under the wrapper it might not be a big deal. I could hear it tearing while rolling. So the foot looked horrible. But then so did the next one. This time I cut the me to get rid of the craptastic looking foot. I didn't bother capping the second stick, though now I'm wondering if I should have left a bit of the pigtail.

On the DVD that came with the kit he uses a cover from a magazine to roll up the end product. That gave me an idea of using a magazine cover to roll the filler. Maybe I'd get a smoother more linear roll and be able to feel loose spots better.
    "Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

"I ask not the favor given to Paul," Copernicus said, "I seek not the grace bestowed upon Peter--but I beg the mercy granted to the thief on the cross!" - Alexander Smellie 1899

"Amen....wine, beer or whisky can cure a lot of problems, or start a shitload of others!....." - droy1958

6. Likes steelman, Marc L, jhedrick83, Brimy liked this post
    Jumpin’ Railcars and Collectin' Cans Marc L's Avatar
    First Name
    Marc
    Ring Gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    40 X 5-ish , 0.25 Cibao Criollo ligero / 0.25 Cibao Corojo ligero , 0.5 Cibao Corojo Viso / 0.5 Piloto Cubano Viso Fillers. 0.75 Dom Seco Binders. Corojo Oscuro Wrappers.

Last edited by Marc L; 01-21-2018 at 09:14 PM.
    tobacco .. roll with it

8. Likes rodwha, Bruck, Brimy liked this post
    First Name
    Bob
    Ring Gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rolled two more today and these have turned out much better so far. I still need to add the wrapper tomorrow. However I was curious what was in my scraps bag. I was surprised and how big some of them were so I decided to go ahead and try rolling a cigarillo. As it doesn't have a mold I added the wrapper as soon as I was done with the binder and didn't bother with a cap.

I've named it Lumpy. I suppose on average it's probably about a 30 ring and is 3.5" long. Couldn't really begin to tell you what all is in it... The larger end is a little squishy.
    "Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

"I ask not the favor given to Paul," Copernicus said, "I seek not the grace bestowed upon Peter--but I beg the mercy granted to the thief on the cross!" - Alexander Smellie 1899

"Amen....wine, beer or whisky can cure a lot of problems, or start a shitload of others!....." - droy1958

10. Likes Marc L, Brimy liked this post
    First Name
    Bob
    Ring Gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After coffee and a couple of chores I sat down and finished last night's endeavor. I didn't care for using the little piece of copper to make a cap so I took a quarter and used my knife as I couldn't find Karmen's exacto knife.

These have turned out much better but I still need a bit more work. The foot is always splayed and the other end (head?) a little loose.

I've been eyeing the 1/4 lb leaf options from LeafOnly. Sure would prefer a bit more character and I'm uncertain as to how these leaves will all work out (leftovers of this or that). I could always go for a Maduro wrapper! Yum!

I also tried something different with putting the filler together. In essence I used a leaf to roll the rest in along with a little bit of scrap to fill in places. This way I was better able to get a feel for it and to keep it together better while I preped the binder leaf. I'm pretty happy with the results for the most part. Getting the diameter right is hit or miss. I'm using 5 filler leaves, the max suggested for the mold. Some slightly overfill the mold and, as the one is, a little bit undersized.
    Last edited by rodwha; 01-22-2018 at 10:20 AM.

12. Likes Marc L, jhedrick83, Bruck, Brimy liked this post
    Jumpin’ Railcars and Collectin' Cans Marc L's Avatar
    First Name
    Marc
    Ring Gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tobacco .. roll with it

14. Likes rodwha, steelman, Brimy liked this post
    Custom User Title Bruck's Avatar  Cigar Bum Sponsor
    First Name
    Bruce
    Ring Gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @rodwha - you're making good progress!

16. Likes rodwha, Brimy liked this post
    First Name
    Bob
    Ring Gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I worked on these yesterday:

I did much better at feeling the size but found the mold didn't do much of anything as they were rolled to size. Not perfect but pretty good for a hand roll I think.

And I decided to not place the two cut ends (middle of the leaf pile) together to form the head. It seems a bit better but still needs work. I initially set out to try what Marc recommended, which is to cut that end before rolling the wrapper. I still want to try that too.

And somehow Lumpy morphed into a better looking stick which I decided to try last night:

More flavor than his bigger brothers. Burned nicely and even.
    Last edited by rodwha; 01-27-2018 at 08:43 AM.

18. Likes jhedrick83, steelman, Brimy liked this post
    Custom User Title Bruck's Avatar  Cigar Bum Sponsor
    First Name
    Bruce
    Ring Gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rodwha View Post
    More flavor than his bigger brothers. Burned nicely and even.
    Once you've got those things nailed, you're pretty much there

20. Thanks rodwha thanked for this post
    Likes Brimy liked this post